Invoices (Basic): Create, Send & Set Up Reminders
This page is for TaxDome Pro users only. Upgrade at any time.
Send invoices to clients either manually or via pipeline automation. If you have lots to send out, speed up the process by creating templates and using automations!
- Creating & Sending Invoices
- Setting Up Invoice Reminders
- How Invoice Numbers Are Generated
- How to Select Your First Invoice Number
- What Clients See When You Create an Invoice
Creating & Sending Invoices
There are two ways to create and send invoices:
Create & Send One Invoice Once
To create and send one invoice, follow these steps:
1. Click the + NEW button in the left sidebar, then select Invoice from the slide-out.
2. Enter the amount of the invoice and a description.
3. Then click Submit to create and send the invoice.
In addition to the amount, there are other details you may want to include. Check out the numbered items to see what you can also add:
1. Link to jobs: Link your invoice to an existing job to make it quickly available in your workflow. Click Link to jobs, then select the jobs. Once linked, the Jobs section is displayed, and you can see the jobs and the pipelines they belong to.
2. Invoice number: You can choose an invoice number or leave the field empty so TaxDome generates one for you.
3. Choose a payment method: Select the payment method; this option is available only when your default payment-processing service is CPACharge (for more, go here).
4. Date: Enter the date for the invoice. You can issue an invoice for the current (the default) or a past date but not a future date.
5. Team member: Select the team member who will receive the payment (by default, the person creating the invoice receives it).
6. Description: Add a description outlining what is included in the invoice (optional).
8. Send email invoice to the client: Toggle this on if you want the client to be notified by email about an invoice.
9. Reminders: Toggle this on to send an email notification to the client when they don’t pay the invoice within three, or a specified number of, days (more details below).
10. Line items: Itemize the services performed and any discounts.
- Line item: Click Line item, then either select an existing service or create a new one. Fill in the Rate field, set the quantity of the service and tax (for more, go here).
- Discount: To add a line item, click Discount, then fill in the Rate field.
- Subtotal: Sum of the services provided before tax.
- Tax Rate: Once sales tax is added, it’s reflected in the total (for more about sales tax, go here).
12. Create: Click to send the invoice.
Create a Template & Send Invoices via Automations
For more helpful how-to videos, visit TaxDome Academy, our free online hub for
viewing and learning everything you need to know about TaxDome.
Use automations to make sure invoices go out automatically when jobs move to a specific stage in a pipeline. To automate sending invoices to clients, you’ll need a template (for more details, go here). Once you have one, follow these steps:
1. Go to Settings, select Pipelines, then click on the pipeline name or the CREATE PIPELINE button.
2. Choose the stage you want to add the automation to, then click + Add automation. In the pull-down, select Create Invoice.
3. Choose the template, then toggle on the Reminders if you want an additional email to go out to the client when they don’t pay within a certain time frame (for more about Reminders, go here).
4. Click Save.
Once a job moves to a stage in a pipeline with the Create Invoice automation you added, the automation list is displayed. If you don’t want an automatic invoice to be sent, deselect the automation, then click Move.
Setting Up Invoice Reminders
While creating an invoice or adding a Create invoice automation, toggle on Reminders. When you do, the client is sent a reminder about the invoice if it has not been paid within a certain time frame; the default number of days is three, but you can change that:
Inactivity Threshold, Days: This is the number of days before the client is sent a reminder. By default, a reminder is sent three days after an invoice is issued, but you can change that to whatever you prefer.
Limit to: This is the number of reminders sent the client. By default, the client gets only one reminder email, but you can also change this to what you prefer.
Reminders stop when...
- ...the client hasn’t paid the invoice, but the set number of reminders have been sent.
- ...the client paid the invoice.
How Invoice Numbers Are Generated
- If you don’t enter an invoice number but leave the field empty when you create an invoice, a number is generated for you.
- Once TaxDome and Quickbooks are synced, invoice numbers on QuickBooks match.
- Once synced, edited invoice numbers automatically update on QuickBooks.
- Each invoice inside your firm has a unique number.
- When invoice numbers are automatically generated, they are sequential.
- Per necessity, no two invoice numbers are the same.
Selecting Your First Invoice Number
You can choose the first invoice number on TaxDome if you are the firm owner or an admin. This is useful if your firm, say, already has 1,500 invoices, and you don't want to start at No. 1 because it will throw off QuickBooks sync.
To do this, go to Settings, then Firm Settings. In the Invoice Number Sequencing section, fill in the field, then click Save. Now, TaxDome will start numbering invoices from that specified number.
What Clients See When You Create Invoices
Your client can view and pay invoices by clicking the notification on their dashboard, clicking the link in their email notification, or clicking the link on the Invoices page of their portal.
If you want to see TaxDome from the client’s side, access a read-only view of their portal.