For TaxDome Pro users only. Upgrade at any time.
TaxDome has a built-in time tracker, so no need for any third-party applications. Here, we show you how to use it, so that you and your team stay on point and use your time efficiently.
- Starting the Timer
- Adding Time Entries Manually
- Linking Time Entries to Jobs
- Adding Time Entries to Invoices
- Time Entry List
- Filtering a Time Entry List
- Making Changes to Time Entries
- Exporting Time Entries
- Printing a Time Entry List
- Deleting Time Entries
Starting the Timer
1. Click + NEW in the left sidebar, then select Time Entry.
2. Click START A NEW TIMER to begin tracking your time. That’s it. Your time is now being tracked.
Plus, you can...
- ...add a description about what you’re working on.
- ...add tags to your time entries (learn more about tags here).
The timer is displayed on the top right of your screen and shows up on all our pages. It includes your time and the project’s client account ID.
Note: If you leave the Track your time page without clicking Start a New Timer, you’ll see a warning. Click Cancel in the pop-up, then start a timer or enter the time manually. If you check the Prevent this page from creating additional dialogs box, you’ll stop receiving alerts. The alerts are helpful reminders, especially when you’re in a rush, so think twice before checking that box!
Click on the timer if you need to...
- ...pause it.
- ...stop it.
- ...delete it.
When the timer is paused, the clock icon is displayed on the top right. To continue the time tracking, click on the icon, then click Play:
Adding Time Entries Manually
TaxDome allows you to make manual time entries. The time tracker records only your time, but you can also make manual time entries for yourself and other team members.
To add a time entry manually:
1. Click + New in the left sidebar, select Time Entry, then click ADD ENTRY MANUALLY.
2. Enter the duration or indicate a start and end time. By default, the start time is the current time.
3. Click SAVE.
In addition to duration, there are other details you may want to include in your time entries. Below, see the numbered items for what you can add to time entries.
1. Account: the person or business the job is for
2. Assignee: the team member assigned to the job
3. Date and Duration: By default, the date is the current one but you can change it.
4. Start/End time: the duration of the project
5. Description: Add notes about the project (optional).
6. Tags: Add tags to the time entry (for more about tags, go here).
7. Link to Jobs: Select the jobs that will be timed.
8. Jobs: the linked jobs and their pipelines
9. Save: Click to save and add a time entry.
Linking Time Entries to Jobs
Linking time entries to jobs helps make them quickly available in pipelines. They can be linked to jobs by a firm owner, admin or team member with access rights to manage time entries.
- From pipeline: Click on the job box to expand it, click + Link at the top of the page, then select Time Entries. Choose the time entry. Link any time entry previously added to the client’s account and however many you need to.
Once time entries are linked, they appear in the Time Entries section of the job box. Click the x to unlink time entries.
- From the Invoices section: Go to the Time Entries tab. Select the account and click Link to Jobs. Select the jobs and press Link. You can also do this from the Edit screen.
- From the manual time entry creation screen: Click the +NEW button in the top left corner of the screen. Select the client and proceed to the Track your time screen. Click the Link to Jobs button, select the jobs, then press Link.
Adding Time Entries to Invoices
For more helpful how-to videos, visit TaxDome Academy, our free online hub for
viewing and learning everything you need to know about TaxDome.
Use time entries as line items on invoices to show clients the time spent on projects. For example, if someone on your team saved a tax-planning consultation with a client as a time entry, add it to the invoice.
Here’s how to add time entry to an invoice:
2. Add the time entries as line items on the invoice. It’s a good idea to proactively create services charged by the hour (such as tax planning, intro consultation, representation, for example). This way, you can quickly select them when you create an invoice. You can use QTY as a place to enter the amount of time.
Time Entry List
There are two ways to view time entries:
- For all accounts: Go to the Invoices section, then open the Time Entries tab. Here, you’ll see every time entry for every client project that you and your team are working on.
- For a single account: Go to Clients, click on the client account name, go to Invoices, then open the Time Entries tab. Here, you’ll see the time entries for the selected client. Time entries for accounts can be managed by a firm owner, admin or team member with access rights to manage time entries.
In the time entry list, you’ll see these column headers:
- ID: the client’s unique ID (not displayed on the client account profile page)
- NAME: the account name the time entry is for. Click on the client’s account name to access its details.
- ASSIGNEE: the name of the team member the time entry is for
- DESCRIPTION: a brief description of the project (if entered when the time entry was created)
- START: the date and time the project was started
- END: the date and time the project was completed. If the time tracker is still on, IN PROGRESS appears.
- DURATION: the total duration of the time entry
- CREATED BY: the name of the team member who added the time entry
- TAGS: the tag that was added to the time
Filtering a Time Entry List
Filters are useful when you need to find certain types of time entries. For example, filtering allows you to quickly find all the time entries for a specific team member. There are five ways to filter them:
By team member: See only the time entries assigned to selected team members.
By account: See only the time entries for selected client accounts.
By start date: See only the time entries with start dates in a specific time frame.
By due date: See only time entries with due dates in a specific time frame.
By tags: See only time entries with specific tags. For example, use tags to quickly find all time entries for clients with prepared 1040 forms.
To filter time entries, click FILTER in the top right corner, select the filters you want, then click APPLY. Fore more about how to use filters, go here.
Making Changes to Time Entries
To make changes to time entries, click on the three dots to the far right of an entry, then select Edit in the pull-down menu.
Printing a Time Entry List
To print a time entry list, click Print on the top right of the page.
By default, the time entry list displays 25 items per page. If you want to print more, select the number you prefer in the Rows per page menu on the bottom left.
Your browser will prompt you to print the list, which will include the current date and time.
Deleting Time Entries
To remove a completed time entry, click on the three dots to the far right of the entry, then select Delete in the pull-down menu.
To remove an incomplete time entry, click the timer on the top right, then click DELETE.